Sunday, April 6, 2008

In Loving Memory

Today I had to bury Hildie. My best friend, my child, my soul mate. Although Hildie was just a cat, she was my baby. So I don't have to repeat this many times to family and friends, here's why. Hidlie possibly contracted a virus from another cat. For the past few days, her appetite diminished. I saw her weakening so I fed her by hand as often as she would allow. She was still able to get up and move around the house, but yesterday when she got up, I noticed her hind legs weren't working like they should. She tried to walk, but one of her feet was dragging behind. Over the course of the day, when she tried to walk, her legs wouldn't function and she would just plop over. She would lay in the same spot, tossing and turning, but not really resting. I noticed her breathing was getting harder and harder. When I woke up this morning, her breathing was really labored and she wouldn't get up at all. She was crying, as was I. So.... thank goodness for the Internet, I looked for a vet that was opened on Sundays and luckily found one close by. I rushed her there and after examining her, they determined her liver was failing. She was jaundiced and had a body temperature of 95 degrees, which 102 is normal. Her poor little body was shutting down. The prognosis was not good. After weighing the options, I decided she didn't need to suffer anymore, so I made the decision to have her euthanized. As I said my goodbyes I held her head up and she looked at me with those big round eyes, then the doctor came in to administer her shot. She "cried" one last time as if to say goodbye and then it was over. My baby was gone. I buried her under my pussy willow tree, so she'll always be in the shade where she loved to lay.

Photobucket
August 2003 - still a baby

Photobucket
2005

Photobucket
February 2006

Photobucket
December 2007
Photobucket
January 2008

Photobucket
January 2008

Photobucket
January 2008
I Love you Hildie!



Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamonds gilt on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in the morning hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand by my grave and cry.
I am not there.
I did not die.
~~Mary Frye~~ 1942

4 comments:

CreativeMish said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I can't imagine going through that. I must be very hard. You're in my thoughts.
Love ya!

Cristie said...

OMG! I am so sorry! I know what it's like to lose a pet you love so much. Keep this in mind. She's up there playing with Babe now. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about Hildie. You put her under something beautiful and a place you know where she was happy! My thoughts are with you. :)

Jenn said...

I'm so sorry. :( Losing pets is so hard - especially when you treat them like a member of the family. She's in a better place. Look up the Rainbow Bridge Poem - it always touches my heart.